Gas Vision 2050 - Reliable, secure energy and cost-effective carbon reduction
Today, gas is essential to our economy and modern lifestyles. In the future, gas will continue to be essential as Australia makes the transformation to a cleaner energy future. Whether it’s for hot water, domestic heating, or gas-fired cooking, gas plays a central role in the lives of over 6.5 million Australian households.
Today, gas delivers 44% of Australia’s household energy but only 13% of household greenhouse gas emissions. Gas provides nearly a quarter of Australia’s total energy supply. Gas also plays an important role in our economy with approximately 130,000 commercial businesses relying on gas. Major industries use gas for energy and as a feedstock for manufacturing products such as plastics, chemicals and fertilisers.
Figures collated by Deloitte demonstrate that gas underpins a variety of local industries. It estimates that half of the gas consumed in Australia is used in manufacturing and mining industries that contribute $196 billion to the national economy employing 949,000 Australians.
Wednesday, May 03, 2017
Subscribe to weekly updates
- Emissions Reduction Fund the great survivor of Australia's climate policy
- S&P's sobering warning on energy policy vacuum
- Vintage Energy aims to 'make a difference' in east coast gas supply
- Direct Action back on the agenda-Graham Lloyd
- Origin Energy to cut power bills as it ‘turns the corner’ on prices
- Queensland could be 90% renewable by 2030 – with right policy settings
- Coal shows resilience in global comeback
- How the NSW energy grid almost went dark last week
- Trevor St Baker backs Angus Taylor on renewables
- Wholesale energy prices have spiked as government split over policy