Gas Vision 2050 - Reliable, secure energy and cost-effective carbon reduction
Today, gas is essential to our economy and modern lifestyles. In the future, gas will continue to be essential as Australia makes the transformation to a cleaner energy future. Whether it’s for hot water, domestic heating, or gas-fired cooking, gas plays a central role in the lives of over 6.5 million Australian households.
Today, gas delivers 44% of Australia’s household energy but only 13% of household greenhouse gas emissions. Gas provides nearly a quarter of Australia’s total energy supply. Gas also plays an important role in our economy with approximately 130,000 commercial businesses relying on gas. Major industries use gas for energy and as a feedstock for manufacturing products such as plastics, chemicals and fertilisers.
Figures collated by Deloitte demonstrate that gas underpins a variety of local industries. It estimates that half of the gas consumed in Australia is used in manufacturing and mining industries that contribute $196 billion to the national economy employing 949,000 Australians.
Wednesday, May 03, 2017
Subscribe to weekly updates
- Orica CEO Caldreron: ACCC’s gas price transparency move will help local firms
- Snowy Hydro CEO sees room for all storage projects
- Frydenberg asks energy regulator to probe electricity price-gouging claims
- Tesla’s giant battery in Australia reduced grid service cost by 90%
- Clean Energy Regulator confirms the RET is met
- Delta Electricity in $410m pumped hydro push
- Australia is the only G20 country without nuclear power. Why?
- Hong Kong's Alinta Energy offers $250m for Muswellbrook's Liddell power station
- AEMC says grid operating to standards, prompts call for new standards
- AGL to build $400m gas-fired power plant