Gas Vision 2050 - Reliable, secure energy and cost-effective carbon reduction
Today, gas is essential to our economy and modern lifestyles. In the future, gas will continue to be essential as Australia makes the transformation to a cleaner energy future. Whether it’s for hot water, domestic heating, or gas-fired cooking, gas plays a central role in the lives of over 6.5 million Australian households.
Today, gas delivers 44% of Australia’s household energy but only 13% of household greenhouse gas emissions. Gas provides nearly a quarter of Australia’s total energy supply. Gas also plays an important role in our economy with approximately 130,000 commercial businesses relying on gas. Major industries use gas for energy and as a feedstock for manufacturing products such as plastics, chemicals and fertilisers.
Figures collated by Deloitte demonstrate that gas underpins a variety of local industries. It estimates that half of the gas consumed in Australia is used in manufacturing and mining industries that contribute $196 billion to the national economy employing 949,000 Australians.
Wednesday, May 03, 2017
Subscribe to weekly updates
- Industry splurge leaves out gentailers
- Paris Agreement to shrink economy, says US’s Brookings Institution
- Renewables momentum continues, despite political chaos
- Records 'blown away' as rising power bill fears trigger solar PV surge
- Origin Energy able to supply electricity three times faster
- Sanjeev Gupta, Simec Zen Energy, ready to raise cash for renewables
- Paris target achieved eight years early
- ACCC to probe gas retailers’ ‘excessive margins’
- NSW, South Australia move to fast-track power connection
- Leading CEOs on the realities of energy policy paralysis